Saturday, April 14, 2007

The French Side

Two girls, one delayed flight, one airport with two exits each in a different country ... and that was just the beginning to our Easter skiing break!

K and I, already weary from a late night packing and all day at work, arrived an hour late in Geneva. We existed on the Swiss side, not expecting to have a rental car until the following morning. Somewhere along the way we thought we should at least try and retrieve the car then, and save ourselves the trip to the airport terminal the next day. We separated ... K in pursuit of Europcar on the French side, and me trying to book us into an airport hotel for the night.

The airport was quickly emptying out, and for the first time I thought 'Sh*t, Geneva airport does close!'. The latter cemented when I was approached by a policeman asking me what I was still doing there! Finding an Internet point without Euro coins nor an Apple user name proved pointless and frustrating. Finally gave up and called my Dad to get the number for the Holiday Inn, which I had inspected online but failed to note the reservation number. Hotel booked, I began to relax, and then came the phone call from K ....
I'm on the French side ... umm ... and they have closed the doors ... I'm stuck here!!
Don't panic! A friendly girl who works in Avis (the French side) had kindly offered to drive her back around. The drive took about 20 minutes! Thankfully she didn't have to walk back. But yes, Geneva airport has a French and Swiss side, normally you can go between the two freely .. that is, until they close the airport!

It was 2am when my head hit the pillow. Eight hours since we set out for Gatwick airport, and we were still three and a half hours away from our final destination, Val D'isere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home