Friday, April 25, 2008

Power dressing

I walked out this morning with that confident stride, you know the one. Everyone stood aside as I walked past and colleagues stole shy glances my way. It was that silk floaty shirt that gave me the power. Even before I walked into that room, I knew that deal was mine.

Later this afternoon, basking in the first spring rays, I strolled along Park Avenue marvelling at myself. Another successfully meeting and here I was enjoying the Friday afternoon sunshine.

Park Avenue makes for an interesting forum to observe a cross-section of the New York upper classes. I realize the US is in theory a class-less society, but this is a place where money talks. The healthier your bank balance, the higher you are in the pecking order. Who your parents were doesn't really come into play when you made $200m last year. Anyhow, I digress ... During business hours Park is full of bankers in their well-cut suits, but come mid afternoon the tourists swoop in for a peak at this glorious avenue (it is the only Manhattan avenue which has a tree lined median strip). The latter must be annoying to the Upper East Side locals. Those stylish examples of older ladies-who-lunch. I love watching them. The crisp navy suit, stockings despite the heat, smart shoes, and a cigarette. They just don't make them like they used to ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home