Tuesday, July 17, 2007

JB and Giorgio

The excitement was just too great! The day had been awaited for months. That morning I could hardly stand still. Running errands to keep the jitters at bay. Popping into Gap for impulse shopping just to occupy myself.

JB walking into my London pad, such a long awaited moment. We have spent countless hours over the last six years talking and emailing decorating ideas, for the homes we have and the ones we aspire to. The exhilaration to have her finally in my home. The next two hours of non-stop conversation, both of us try to talk at the same time. The drama of dead phones and lost directions, and then the three way reunion with D's arrival. Making it to Locanda in the nick of time. Giorgio at the front desk to greet us, just the perfect accompaniment.

The food did not disappoint one bit. I started with cured pork neck, accompanied by crisp watercress and picked onions. My main was rolled pork with herbs, again an enticing option. For me the conquering factor, as always, was dessert. A warm chocolate fondant, which had just the right consistency and level of bitter sweetness.
Uniting old and new friends over delicious food and fantastic wine. Not always a winning combination, but that night was a success! New friendships were born and old ones cemented over an expertly selected Sangiovese, followed by a fuller bodied Chianti.

Speaking of members bars recently. There is nothing better than talking your way into one, sans membership or reservation. They tried to make us wait to get into the regular bar, but with a sweet smile and the right words, before I knew it the door was wide open. Like I have always insisted ... it pays to put your charm to good use, or failing that to have cute friends :-) The remainder of the evening spent at a cosy table in the Purple Bar, complete with perfect martinis (Purple French followed by The Berry Wall), great company and priceless conversation. Off home in the nick of time at 2am. Getting up at 5.30am to catch an early flight ... not so priceless.

1 Comments:

At Friday, July 20, 2007 1:59:00 am, Blogger Julia said...

Oh hon, I ditto it all. And you getting us into the Purple Bar was pure Rali - a class act. A sensational night - if only it had lasted the next couple of days. Soon enough, I hope.

And your place is really spectacular. Well done my dear!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home